Many people prefer to do the bulk of their shopping in department stores. This is due to selection, price, convenience, comfort and more. Whether you are shopping for dresses, clubwear, toys, electronics, furniture, or shoes, department stores may be the place to shop.
1. Department stores usually carry a much larger selection of merchandise than a smaller store. Smaller stores usually carry only their particular brand, while department stores carry many, many different brands, and labels. So if you are looking for dresses, or skirts, or pants, or clubwear, you will find that you have much more choice when shopping in a big store.
2. Secondly, it can be easier to shop in a department store because of convenience. These stores normally carry a variety of different types of items, while smaller stores are usually more specialized. A department store usually has a men’s department, women’s department, children’s, kitchen, toys, handbag, furniture, clubwear, electronics and possibly many more. A small shop usually carries just one or two different lines of merchandise. There are women’s clothing stores. There are shoe stores, there are furniture shops, and shops for babies. It can be easier to go into a department store to do a one stop shopping, rather than run around from store to store to get everything you need.
3. Another reason it may be worthwhile to shop in such a store is because of price. Larger stores often are able to provide better discounts. As is with any large business, the bigger they are, the more they can afford to help you save. This is because they are buying in even larger quantities than the smaller retail stores. As such, they are paying even less per item they are selling, than their rival smaller stores. They may still be marking up the item by an enormous percentage, but you the customer, are still getting yourself a great deal.
4. Department stores are usually quite good about taking returns. If you bought something early in the season, and it never fit, a department store will usually gladly take it back as long as the tags are still there. This is not always true with smaller stores. While there are small stores that have excellent return policies, there are many that have a 30 day or similar policy. There are department store that will take back unused merchandise even a year later. They are also happy to give you cash back, rather than a store credit,. Many smaller stores will accept exchanges only. Instead of giving you back your money, they will give you a gift card to use in their store.
5. There is another reason I like to shop in large stores. It may sound silly, but I feel quite uncomfortable walking into a small shop and walking out without buying anything. I feel the salespeople are constantly watching you, and offering their help to find you something. Sometimes nothing looks good, or there is just nothing to suit your own taste or style. Very often I find myself buying a small item that I did not even want, just to keep myself from feeling stupid walking out of there. In department stores, there is usually not someone standing over you, coaxing you to buy. You can walk around and browse. Try on lots of dresses, and make your own decisions. The sores are usually crowded with customers, and there is no need for you to feel bad that you are not buying today.